Saturday, January 5, 2013

Step 5: Rest, Healing, Learning and Introspection

Being obsessed with music my whole life made the thought of not practicing or performing for 3 months sound eternal. I now understand that is exactly what I needed.

The extra time off which the Botox has forced me into has given me the proper time to work on healing all the other physical damage my body taken from 29 years on the guitar. I may not have rested proper if not forced to. The tendonitis symptoms are slowly going away and the timing should be perfect to start my treatment the end of January in Sevilla. Acupuncture and deep tissue massage are helping.

Overall I'm still feeling hopeful, though I have to fight the negativity every day when confronting my condition and new reality. I avoid playing long periods and only play to teach, or in very fun, short spurts or easy rehab type movements. Speaking of, I must give a shout out to my students, who have always been an important part of my life, but are now an indispensable positive force in my recovery. 

I feel that I can beat this because of how comprehensive my approach will be facing the physical, behavioral and emotional aspects of FD. This time off has given me time to learn more about and understand FD. I believe one of the reasons it is considered "incurable" by many is simply the amount of time, care and study it takes for one to understand such a complex neurological condition and all that is attached to it. 

I have finally resolved to not push my recovery in any way, or try to control the timeline for it. I now understand this would be an opposing force to the principles of the treatment. Once I have my game plan with Dr. Farias, the amount of time it will take will not dissuade me as I only need to know that I can get better and that it will come if I do it right. I cannot think of a more relaxing environment for recovery than Sevilla. The love I have for this city and what it has given to my life and career is hard to describe in words.

Thanks again to our family, friends and fans for your kind, supportive words and help through this difficult time. I cannot tell you when we will be performing next as of this date, but promise that we will be back and better than ever. 

1 comment:

Jim Goza said...

Good Luck Eric! Please keep us posted on your experience and progress!!!