Thursday, February 7, 2013

Last sessions with Dr Farias and returning to the roots

My Dad came out to hang with us a few days. He certainly knows how to chill. Still learning from him. Having family here during this time was great.

My first follow up visit: More help with facing the ups and downs. Asked to quit practicing the same stuff and compose. Fall in love with the music again, with simple chords and the way your fingers feel on the guitar. I never thought I stopped, but obviously my hands are getting in the way, or really, my head. 

Then another horrible day. No luck with any of it. 

I had only seen my friend and mentor Martin Chico once as I felt uncomfortable with my condition not being able to play more. So a week went by and after this shitty day, he shows up at our hang "Chiringuito" with his infectious smile he always has. We drink, immediately start up with palmas, baile, more gitano friends show up and he plays a literally destroyed guitar with a picture of Camaron glued on it with a broken stick and electrical tape for a capo. Juerga time. 

He offered to take us to Tres Mil again(Poligono Sur, the barrio the Gypsies were moved to from Triana) He said "you need to come hang with me and feel the joy again. You need to feel the spirit of Sevilla". Encarna and I are always up for a trip to the hood! So off we go to flamenco land to have an amazing evening "sin reglas". From my experience the relaxed vibe and warmth from the Gitanos there can really only be compared with Mexicanos. The art of being happy with less.

We got to hang with Bobote and his brother again and hear amazing stories, and of course talk flamenco. First about the times with Camaron, then how Raimundo Amador's Dad made a guitar out of boxes for carrying fish and put strings on it for him when he was a kid and how amazing he played it. They would even make them out of cardboard so the kids could start on the right hand even though the left didn't work well. Bobote went on to give an example on an empty water bottle. The aire he transmitted was ridiculous. That magical game of luring you into the compas and surprising you with the remate. Arte puro. 

You have to understand that if you are not from this barrio, you don't really go there. It always feels like an honor for us. It is not the place for photos. Wish we could share, but cameras take you out of the moment and you become a simple tourist. Best I can do is give you my view when I used nature's restroom behind the bar, haha: 
This along with a productive last session with Dr Farias was a perfect closing for my initial treatment. What he is doing for musicians and others is really the cutting edge of Dystonia treatment. He is simply a brilliant,  amazing person. He left me with all the tools I need to rehabilitate myself and to continue to teach myself how to reprogram by brain. It is now up to me to put the hard work in for the next 6 months. 
Our time with friends like Juan and Chico, also helped remind me what is important about flamenco and life in general. The experience of Andalucia is about the people, the food, wine, cruz campo, the spontaneity and sense of freedom; the ability to slow down and take the time to take it all in, and the pure love for an art form with ancient roots.
 I came here worried that I could not be who I was without playing with everyone. Most our friends had a surprising awareness of Focal Dystonia and I heard of many other cases here. It seems to be a burden many long term flamenco guitarists end up carrying. They could not have been more supportive. We will certainly be back to play and live the life for many more years to come. Viva Sevilla!



2 comments:

SS said...

What an amazing journey, Eric. The twists and turns of life that can seem so turbulent can show us inspiring new things as well as remind us of our passions. And then there is the importance of our relationships to each other regardless of our talents, accomplishments, fears. We connect, support, teach each other. Sounds like you've gotten great reminders on this trip. So glad you're there, Trailblazer. XO SS Big Love to the Radiant Encarna, too.

El Comanche said...

SS, you are a wise soul and certainly one of those important relationships you speak of. Thank you for being there for us. Abrazos enormes- E